August 10, 2010

Syncing Google Contacts

 To prepare for when I get my G1, I cleaned my Google contacts by deleting all entries and then import my Outlook / Exchange contacts into Google Contacts. The export / import process is not as easy as it should be. You export the Outlook contacts to a *. CSV file, which is very simple, but I had trouble with import into Google.

The problem is that addresses do not appear in Google contacts, even though they were exactly where they should be in the CSV file. After a search, I found out the problem appears with the version of Gmail I was with, which is the latest version. I moved back to the older version and re-imported (after deleting all the contacts first) and then published the addresses, as they should. I was then able to reappear on the newer version of Gmail and the addresses remain.

Today was the true test of how the contacts sync would work, and he has a problem. Some of my contacts are companies for which I did not enter a first and last name, but a company name. The company name will appear as you type in the web version of Google / Gmail contacts, but the company does not appear in Android contacts list, but I see only the phone numbers for the company at the top of the list to be expected. I think to fix the problem, I need each of the business contacts that I have to the company name in the Name box, put Edit.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please insert your comments below