September 11, 2010

The Pocket PC Wargame Genre




It's been a distracting Pocket PC wargame session with Handmark's Warfare Incorporated for Pocket PC.



I experienced flashes of teach and Conquer pangs of nostalgia as I started erecting power generators to sustain my turrets active. It was the only thing holding the enemy AI units at bay.



You're on planet Icarus and you're fighting for resources against the OMNI corporation. You have to earn storage houses to store the gem-like patches on the plot for the real-time strategy PPC wargame.



Once you've upgraded to the gills with the money you've earned, you accept to spend some high-powered weaponry.



You'll salvage Warfare Incorporated extremely challenging and more difficult as the campaign missions continue.



Soon enough, I had been sucked into this mobile real-time strategy game universe on my iPAQ.



I had been RTS gaming without realizing it when my dad came home with The broken-down Art of War by Brøderbund in 1984 for his desktop PC.



This desktop PC game caused quite a hasten in the gaming community help then, with rudimentary gameplay balancing that became a more complex staple in subsequent incarnations in the genre.



It took a while, but we're at the point where mountainous genuine time strategy games on our PDAs don't impartial have to be desktop-to-PDA ports like Age of Empires as attested to Warfare Incorporated's presence on the RTS gaming scene.



I protected my mobile Dominion HQ with a few scout ships during a "crossing the plains" mission in the trial download, then unleashed a can of vehicular whupass in the subsequent savage, unequal battle during the next mission.



I pinned the enemy AI down and made short work of his power generators, disabling his turrets.



I then amassed my rocket-propelling infantry and my better class ships instead of some wussy light-armoured scout ships.



This led to some laser filled enemy-building-burning action, of which I'm not too proud. The AI humiliation was thorough.



I've been RTS battle-hardened on my desktop PC as my colleagues habitually attempt to decimate one others' forces in Age of Mythology, Rise of Nations and C&C Generals Zero Hour, amongst others.



Now we can maintain the real-time game party going on our PDAs with a release new to the Pocket PC platform.



Let's hope for more unique real-time wargame Pocket PC releases like this and fewer desktop to PDA game transitions in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please insert your comments below